Renesas Mobile and the Cellular Standards
Renesas Mobile holds world-class expertise in cellular technologies and standards, as well as one of the longest-standing experiences in the industry, spanning more than thirty years. Some of our renowned experts were already involved with early analog cellular technologies then aimed at different regions, NMT1 in Scandinavia, TACS2 in the UK and Hong Kong, AMPS3 in the US, NETZ-C4 in Germany, and played a leading role in the design of the first common digital cellular system initially aimed for Europe and that quickly became the one truly global cellular system, GSM5.
Across several decades, Renesas Mobile experts have played a pivotal role in the definition, implementation and global acceptance of what is commonly referred to as the GSM family of technologies and specifications: GSM/EDGE6, UMTS7/HSPA8, and LTE9/LTE-A10.
Our understanding and mastery of cellular technologies and their requirements are second-to-none. Our expertise and know-how allow us not only to offer industry-leading multimode wireless modems at the heart of our products and in millions of mobile devices worldwide but also to be at the forefront of the development of the [TDD and FDD] LTE-, [TDD and FDD] UMTS- and GSM-based standards in 3GPP.
We shape the future of cellular mobile communications by driving standardized solutions that best meet the requirements of the different actors of the industry, while ensuring positive differentiation of our products through proprietary enhancements owed to our in-depth knowledge and understanding of cellular systems. Today Renesas Mobile is for instance driving:
- In LTE:
- Carrier Aggregation and associated enhancements, techniques that enable higher data rates by aggregating separated spectrum chunks, often in separate bands, in up to 20MHz of spectrum.
- Definition of enhanced performance requirements, to achieve further system performance gain through tightening the performance requirements of LTE mobile receivers.
- In UMTS:
- Multicarrier reception for HSDPA incl. MIMO11, techniques to allow reception over several carriers to offer higher data rates whilst best exploiting the available spectrum.
- Uplink transmit diversity for HSUPA (closed loop), a technique to achieve system gains by using multiple transmit antennas in the mobile, under control of the network.
- In GSM:
- VAMOS Type II, a technique that allows to increase significantly the GSM voice capacity while preserving the speech quality, under even more stringent performance requirements for the mobile receiver. Our VAMOS Type II receiver is best-in-class and based on a robust and well-proven DARP platform further enhanced with advanced receiver solutions specific to VAMOS-II.
- TIGHTER, that enables system performance gains through significantly enhanced mobile station receiver performance both for sensitivity- and for interference-limited scenarios, thanks to major advances since our first GSM receiver implementation in the early days of GSM.
LTE FDD and TDD
Our world-class know-how with LTE roots from over 30 years of expertise in the design and implementation of cellular technologies. Since the first studies on LTE back in 2004 our experts have been leading contributors and played a major role in several fields such as driving commonalities between TDD and FDD branches, defining LTE performance requirements etc.
TD-SCDMA, or UMTS-TDD, plays an important role as a 3G technology in China and as an alternative to WCDMA. Deployed by China Mobile, the World's largest mobile operator, the footprint of TD-SCDMA is increasing in the Chinese market gradually.
3G / HSPA / HSPA+
With our cellular modems in millions of devices today and our proven world-class expertise in UMTS and HSPA technology, Renesas Mobile is committed to the evolution of the UMTS/HSPA technology by promoting technology innovation, standard development and delivering best-in-class products.
EDGE / GSM
Our world-class know-how with GSM owes to the active continuous involvement of our experts over thirty years, from the early days of the GSM standard in the 1980's to the present day.
With over thirty years designing, driving and implementing cellular technologies, in particular GSM, UMTS [TDD and FDD] and LTE [TDD and FDD], Renesas Mobile possesses an in-depth know-how reflected at the heart of our cellular modems and their leading performance.
Renesas Mobile contributes very actively to standardization of GERAN, UTRAN and EUTRAN technologies in 3GPP, and also to selected groups of IEEE802.11. We publish our key research results in prominent journals and conferences.
1: Nordic Mobile Telephony
2: Total Access Communications System
3: Advance Mobile Phone System
5: Global System for Mobile communications
6: Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution